Whole Tone Lick
- Here is lick #6 from "50 Must Know Jazz Guitar Licks."
- The whole tone scale is used entirely here, and the lick can be played over a dominant 7th chord.
- Although it works over any dominant 7th, a 7#5 chord is preferred.
- For example, if you see a C7#5 in a jazz standard, play this lick, or use the C whole tone scale. This lick will work over the C7#5 found in "All the Things you Are."
- Some of the notes found in the whole tone scale serve as alterations to a dominant, and these notes include the 9th, #11th, and #5th.